(Yes, I’m re-using a photo from my latest fashion post, but it’s not because I’m lazy, it’s just that… well… I… okay, fine, I’m lazy.) Good morning… time to have ten coffees, cry at the sound of crickets disturbing your otherwise okay mood and try not to die of fatigue. However, mornings don’t have to suck if you add a few things to make it easier. There are a few things I find to make mornings that bit easier to get out the door- take it from someone who is actually a morning person and finds it easy to wake up.
- Having breakfast or a tea/coffee outside on a porch or in your backyard (if you wake up around when the sun rises). Seeing sunlight first thing in the morning can make you wake up a bit more- after all, your body is made to be awake during the day, so seeing the sun and the sky reminds your brain to start working again. Don’t do this when it’s raining, though- that will just get you cold.
- Open up your planner and write in due dates and your to-do list for the day. It helps you keep focussed on your main tasks for the day and gets you thinking about tackling the day ahead.
- Make your bed. It takes about half a minute and will make your bedroom feel fresh again. Getting into a habit of making your bed is a great habit to have.
- Listen to music or a podcast. This is more for when you’re walking out the door to get to wherever you need to be- the train, work, school the car, anything. When you have music or a podcast to focus on, things just feel right.
- Have some water with a squeeze of lemon juice in it. The lemon tang will wake you up in a much more refreshing and light way than coffee or tea (but coffee is still amazing. Both, I guess?). Studies have also shown that having an apple in the morning has the same awakening effects as a cup of coffee, too, so have an apple with it as well! It’s probably healthier, anyway.
Are there any morning rituals that you do to help you survive the morning?